A diversity of friends

calimari
calimari,
originally uploaded by ifinding.

My mom always used to tell me that if I'm going to be a doctor, I should be friendly and patient and kind to everyone, because that's the kind of doctor that both patients and nurses and support staff are willing to listen to. A little biased view perhaps since she's a nurse, but true nonetheless.

And while mulling over a plate of calimari with F, I realized that I've been doing this all my life. That's how I ended up with such a diversity of friends. I've managed to gather up a wide variety of folk that (and I've proven this time and time again) don't get along with each other at all. My friends tend not to get along, because in reality, the only unifying theme is me.

And I wouldn't change a thing about my friends. They're like a buffet of life. There's something wonderful about having friends who could care less that you make life and death decisions 6 days a week, friends who are more interested in what I've been reading, whom I've been dating, what I've been eating... interested in my life.

It's a lot harder for me these days to make friends like I used to. And that's kind of sad. But it makes me wonder sometimes whether the girl of my dreams, maybe she's out there and I've blown her off. That would suck.

But if I had to sit down and be honest, of all the stupid crushes and trouble with love that I've gotten into, there's only one or two that bother me, that I feel like I missed my chance, that something so wonderful could have been. And if you know me, you're probably guessing right now. But y'know, you'd be guessing wrong.

There's something liberating about paring down one's list of girls that got away down to one or two, because it reaffirms the truth that in life, you have to wait years before you meet a girl that you'd even think about marrying.

So glancing at my calendar, I seem to be a tad overdue in that department.

No comments: