You must want to do general medicine

I was talking with one of my attendings about the hospital and how I really don't like inpatient service. It sucks. I hate taking care of people in the hospital. I'd much rather see them in the clinic. In the clinic, I can shuffle things around and do what I like. It's more social. It's more casual. Her reply to me: you must want to go general medicine. No one else likes clinic. Heh, she's right.

I was talking to a medical student today, and somewhat fondly remembering the... fun that was 3rd year. There's something quite adventurous about trying to figure out what you're going to do with the rest of your life. I mean, it's really quite exciting. Now that I'm heading down the path of locked into a career, my life just doesn't seem nearly as exciting. But on the plus side, I actually worked harder during med school than I am now.

No comments: