Doctor's hours

I like to hang out with my friends as much as I can, but I've come to the realization that there is no schedule quite so hard to coordinate as trying to get a resident's schedule to conform to the working week of the rest of the world. The rest of the world doesn't work random nights or have to work 30 hour shifts. The rest of the world thinks a 50 hour work week is shit, whereas in medicine, we practically jumped for joy at the thought of only 80 hours a week.

I'm quickly realizing that the reason why so many doctor marriages fail is that the medical world just doesn't exist on the same temporal plane as the rest of the world. We don't have the time.

This has significantly dimmed my hopes for romance outside the hospital.

1 comment:

wyn157 said...

i've actually expressed that concern to several ppl before... and i was always corrected. everyone i know seems to agree that it isn't *time*, but rather *growth*.

they say the relnshps that don't make it are the ones in which one person grows (from seeing/learning so much -- not about medicine, but about life and death) and the other can't keep up.

the advice that everyone gave me was to always 'connect' so you aren't dragging the other person behind you, and so far it's worked.

don't give up!