See ya

I spent some time hanging out with WC, saying my good-byes. He starts his residency soon in another state, and chances are I won't see him again for at least a year, if not longer. We had a couple drinks and enjoyed our time, but it always hurts saying good-bye.

I've had to say good-bye more times than I care to recall. I've left more friends behind than I can count. I hate good-byes, because they're painful. Good-bye should be enjoyable, like the ending of a good movie, and as the credits roll, I get to enjoy the denouement, and close it off. Now it can come in a DVD and sit on my shelf. I have digested it.

Parting with friends, it's never like that. It's never the three act play. My friends always seem to part in the middle of Act 3. I never feel any closure, and that lingering sentiment is probably what inspires me to write bizarre letters to my friends every now and then, because I'd like to know how the story ends.

So good-bye, WC. Stay good.

No comments: