Choices

As criticized as the Matrix: Reloaded was, there was actually quite a bit that was very sharp. Talking to some philosophy folk, they actually saw a lot in this movie, and the input was nice.

But the one thing I liked in the movie was when the Oracle was talking with Neo. He asks her if he has to make a choice and she says no. "you didn't come here to make the choice, you've already made it. You're here to understand why you made it."

And for most of us in medicine, that's a mouthful. Because I know that I chose to go into medicine a long time ago, all the way back in high school. And now that I'm a doctor, I've been spending a lot of time trying to understand the why behind that. I thought I knew when I first made that choice, but I really didn't.

Because I'm lonely, and I have no life, and I am tired all the time, and I think to myself why in the world did I decide to do this? And if I couldn't answer that question, I'd have quit years ago.

And it's hard to realize that why I went into medicine, all the stuff I love about medicine, that was all there back in high school. Everything I love about medicine now was there, lingering in the shadows, and it's taken me nearly a decade to discover it.

No comments: