Twin XL

Next time you go to Bed, Bath and Beyond, find the best sheets they have, the ones with the ridiculous 500 thread count and realize that it comes in twin, full, queen, and king, but no twin XL. That is because everyone knows that Twin XL is for pitiful college students and has no place in the real world. Except in my bedroom.

I still have a Twin XL. It's a pillowtop, so it's very comfortable, and it's a breeze to move. I even bought new sheets for it. I like it. But I know, it's for the kids. It's for college boys and girls, forced to accept the whimsy of some university dorm's conformist mattress.

I thought about replacing my twin XL now that I'm out of college. I'm a big boy now. A-D-U-L-T. Adults sleep in queens or fulls. Not this twin XL stuff. As a friend of mine so aptly put it, the twin XL is nice when you're the only one in your bed most of the time, but when there's a chance someone else might be in the bed, it's nice to have the room.

The thing is, I've been slumming on other people's beds lately, crashing on the charity of friends, and I don't know what to do with the bed. I had the same problem in hotels during interviews. I hover on the edge of the right side (the side where your right side is towards the edge of the bed) and I'm not entirely sure what to do with the rest of the space.

And yes, if someone came over, I could share the space, and I guess that's what a big bed is for really, but that's not something that I'll be doing anytime soon, for a variety of reasons. I'm still Mr. Good Catholic, for one thing.

The ridiculous part? I get better sleep on my sofa. Instead of moving towards more space, I'm going to less.

No comments: