It's official. The terrorists have won.

So, in a bout of insomnia, I was watching Cartoon Network, getting my fix of Futurama, and I see this odd bump (you know what I'm talking about if you've ever watched [adult swim]). It's apologizing for something in Boston? So, time for a websearch!

Turns out that all I needed to do was change the channel to Fox News to find out that apparently, these guys putting up Lite Brites around Boston are master criminals and jeopardizing national security. Let me repeat myself. According to the media, LITE BRITES ARE JEOPARDIZING NATIONAL SECURITY. I cannot believe that the city of Boston was paralyzed by LED's of Ignignokt, whom if you asked any random teenager on the street, would probably be able to identify. It would be like shutting down the subway system because of Towelie dolls found on the trains.

Everything we have done in this country for the past few years has been motivated by this ridiculous fear, paralyzing fear, that someone is out to get us. And we are so afraid that we fail to use things like common sense. We do things like piss off every single country in the world, and somehow remain convinced that we are right.

I have made fun of the phrase "...then the terrorists have already won" and how people used it all the time, and so ludicrously. But it's hard not to feel like we're a little less innocent today. Because this wasn't a subway plot. This wasn't canisters of anthrax. This wasn't a cache of guns and C4 found in the local dam. This was Lite Brites of a cartoon character flipping the bird.

An interesting note though, ten cities had these LED signs, and only Boston went into a hissy fit about them. So maybe it's just Boston that's gone to hell.

No comments: