My type of girl

I've spent a lot of time lately giving thought to something a friend of mine told me. She informed me, routinely, that not only do I have a type (of girl) but that this girl I was chasing after certainly wasn't my type. This sort of set off a series of thoughts, revolving around the question: what is my type? So, it's been years since that statement, and I think that only recently am I in any way grasping what my type is. And it's sort of a sad realization, because now that I know what my type is, it sort of points out all those women that I've known and that have summarily written me off. You know, sometimes knowing what you want is more painful because you are made acutely aware of the fact that you don't have it. Whereas if you don't know what you want, you don't know what you're missing.

Anyway, that's not to say I'm depressed or all 'pity me' or whatever. I just made the observation today. At least I've had plenty of time to think about what is not my type, and that list is pretty extensive. And it's funny, because I always find myself in a funny spot where I'm sure that I should want something, but I don't. It's just not a deal to me in the least. I guess there are perks to knowing what you want. You don't waste your time on what you don't want. Or if you do, you at least have the good sense to know you're being an idiot.

No comments: