No touching

Kilmer Middle School bans handshakes, high fives, hugs.

So, I happened to flip past CNN and Paula Zahn was having a talking head bit about Kilmer Middle School and their policy of no handshakes, no high fives, no hugs, no touching essentially. People are arguing back and forth, and there are all sorts of positions one way or the other.

Rationally, I can understand both arguments. However, in my gut, I found this rule to be outrageous. I went to a private school, and we were reprimanded for NOT shaking hands. Hugs I can understand, but the handshake? The handshake is the most basic unit of human, adult interaction. You might as well ban smiling or saying hello.

These days, the only human interaction I have is shaking hands. If I didn't have that, I might as well be a hermit.

No comments: